Re: Cygwin visual brand

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Berthold Barth
<berthold.barth@googlemail.com> wrote:
> PS: On the subject of relevance: Good design (visuals, workings, user
> experience) is widely accepted to improve the users' perception of the
> functionality. Beautiful things work better. Even if the new design

I couldn't agree more, and I wholeheartedly support your proposed
efforts.  I'm not a designer, but in my opinion the importance of
high-quality graphic design and visual branding is often
under-estimated.  On a perhaps subconscious level, the website
appearance and project logo communicate to a new user something about
the perceived quality of a project, and even it relevance.

A few months ago somebody on this list offered an appealing redesign
of the Cygwin.com website. [1][2]  That, unfortunately, seems to have
gone nowhere (unless something is happening behind the scenes).

As far as the current logo, it has served the project well but it
definitely looks dated. [3]  It's basically a two-color unaliased
bitmap that harkens back to icons of 1980's and 1990's.  My personal
preference for a new logo would be an evolution of the current design.
 Ideally it would scale, perhaps with modifications, to work from
small sizes (for a window titlebar) to large (for the website, e.g.).
The historical evolution of the Mozilla Firefox logo might provide
some guidance. [4][5][6]

Or we could go in a completely new direction.  For what it's worth,
I've been using Cygwin for years and had no idea about the hippo
artwork.

-David

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-03/msg00700.html
[2] http://cygwin.codecamel.com/