Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.7.3-1

Rurik Christiansen:
>> So, did anyone actually read my response here about how this wouldn't
>> work for Cygwin? ÂIf so, you'd have to think that these responses were
>> pretty off-topic.
>
> Actually I did but I gracefully disagree :)
>
> Strictly speaking you are technically perfectly correct.
>
> Humans however are technically imperfect creatures and so we like to
> give names even to collection of things that are ambiguous.

Due to the reasons cgf described, the file in question couldn't
contain much else but the output of 'uname -r', which incidentally is
part of the POSIX standard and hence available on every Unix/Linux,
whereas /etc/*release is not.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/uname.html

So please just use that.

Andy