Re: allocate heap space shell startup failure

On 24/03/2010 17:36, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:23:56PM -0500, Brian Wilson wrote:
>> I have [ ... ] Smart Ram

>> Sometimes (about 50% of the time) when I try to start the Cygwin shell
>> (bash), by double clicking the Cygwin icon, I get an error like the
>> attached error file.

> The error you're getting probably indicates that something allocated space
> in a region of memory where a forked Cygwin process was expecting to
> allocate the heap.  Playing with heap_chunk_in_mb won't fix this
>
> There isn't a registry setting which will fix this.  It's likely that
> either McAfee, Smart Ram, or some other resident process is interfering.

  Yes, and I bet I know which.  So-called "memory optimisers" are utter
bullshit, fraudulent, non-functional, and actually impair the operation of
your system.  They /may/ have had some role in windows 3.11, before there was
real virtual memory in the OS, but since then.... they are just cargo cult
superstition.

  In particular, randomly allocating vast blocks of memory will completely
destroy the operation of fork().  Get the hell rid of it.

    cheers,
      DaveK