Re: incomplete/corrupted setup.exe

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:23:40AM -0700, Steven Monai wrote:
>On 2010/03/14 10:05 AM, Jason Pyeron wrote:
>>Here is the proposal:
>>
>>Name setup.exe as cygwin-setup-v.vv.vv.exe or similar meaning and
>>continue to provide setup.exe as the most current
>>cygwin-setup-v.vv.vv.exe (by symlink or redirect)
>
>An additional idea: Serve setup.exe via HTTPS.  That would likely
>defeat all but the most intrusive web-filtering proxies, and would also
>virtually eliminate problems caused by web caches.
>
>The costs would be relatively small: the purchase of an SSL cert, a
>slight increase in server load, and somebody's one-time effort to set
>it up.

We are not going to be installing an https server in the hopes that it
will defeat misguided setup.exe blocking for the same reason that we
won't be adopting a new versioning scheme - neither is a guarantee.

I don't mind trying to figure out clever ways to defeat Windows
limitations but I draw the line at spending nontrivial amounts of my
time trying to deal with brain-dead limitations of users' networks.

The way to install Cygwin on your computer is to click on the "Install
Cygwin Now!" link at http://cygwin.com/ .  If you can't get that to work
then you need to work with your local IT to figure out why.

cgf