Re: Odd behavior of mintty with screen

> >ÂWhen I execute screen, however, the mintty
> > window immediately shrinks from 157x49 to 80x49. ÂThis shrinking
> > does not occur if I maximize the mintty window before executing
> > screen.
>
> I've had a quick look, and with TERM=xterm-256color I find that screen
> sends the DECCOLM sequence '\e[?3l' for putting a terminal into
> 80-column mode. For some reason, this doesn't happen with TERM=xterm,
> so there's one workaround. Another would be to find the relevant
> setting in the screen terminal.

Sure enough, the same thing happens with PuTTYcyg.  It's been annoying me for a
long time, but I've never tried to solve it.  For the legion of screen-256color
+ PuTTYcyg users out there, the solution is to go to the session properties and
check Terminal > Features > Disable remote-controlled terminal resizing.