Re: xerces-c-3.0.1 linking problem

On 27/02/2010 17:03, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Johan De Taeye wrote:
>
>> Note the version of libstdc++ the above is trying to find: 4.3.2
>> The current version in cywgin is 4.3.4.
>>
>> It looks to me that the libxerces-c-3.0.1 libraries were created with
>> an older version of the compiler and are not up to date any more.
>> Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?
>
> Nope, you're correct. C++ libraries must all be compiled with compatible
> versions of the same compiler.  Now, it's possible that 4.3.2 and 4.3.4
> are compatible,

  It is guaranteed.

> but the libtool .la file records the EXACT version number.
>
> One possible work around -- which may work, but might not -- is to
> simply delete the xerces .la files and try to build your app again.

  There's a helper script in the gcc4 package to update all the installed .la
files it can find in /usr/lib: take a look at

/usr/sbin/fix-libtool-scripts-for-latest-gcc-runtimes.sh

  Try giving it a go.  (NB: may be missing 'x' perms on your system owing to
packaging bug in 4.3.4-3; chmod or source it as you prefer.)

    cheers,
      DaveK