Re: [Packaging error] c3270/tcl3270/s3270/pr3287/x3270

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Feb 24 21:31, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Peter A. Castro wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

Hi

The binaries from the following packages are missing the .exe extension.

c3270-3.3.4p7-2
pr3287-3.3.4p7-2
s3270-3.3.4p7-2
tcl3270-3.3.4p7-2

Yikes! Hmm...how strange. Ok, I'll fix that. Thanks for the catch!

Ok, I've been investigating just how/why this happened and it seems there's been a change in how some of the automagic executable suffix munging is being done in Cygwin 1.7 versus 1.5.

The makefile has this bit of script in it:

/usr/bin/install -c c3270 $DESTDIR/$BINDIR/c3270

Under Cygwin 1.5, this creates "c3270.exe".
Under Cygwin 1.7, this created "c3270"  (no .exe).

There's been no change in the makefile scripts between releases of these
packages, so this is apparently a change in behaviour in either
/usr/bin/install or Cygwin's magical filename resolver internals.

Yes, I've already dug through the email archives and this has been
discussed before with really no good resolution.

Add $(EXEXT) handling to configure and makefiles?

As I've said in other email, I'll feed back to the owner of the project with some suggestions, but this really just underscores how un-unix-like this environment is. For the moment I have a convenient workaround.

Corinna

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood