Re: Fetchmail call to procmail no longer works under Cygwin 1.7.1-1

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:14:15AM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Jason, would you include this EXITCODE/HOST stuff and other hints into
> your Cygwin README file? I don't think the upstream version will ever
> change again, procmail is apparently dead for nearly a decade. For
> debugging, I'd also suggest to mention LOGABSTRACT=all and LOGFILE
> along with VERBOSE=yes.  LOGFILE=/dev/stderr may prove useful in
> command line testing.

FWIW, the Cygwin procmail README contains the following:

    Install:

    Create a procmail run control file, ~/.procmailrc.  The contents of
    this file are extremely user specific and (way) beyond the scope of
    this README file.

    procmail is usually invoked by your mail transfer agent (MTA).
    Under Cygwin, I recommend using fetchmail to to retrieve your email.
    Cygwin fetchmail will automatically invoke procmail.

    I strongly encourage you to test your procmail recipes before for
    using them in an unattended mode.  Use a command like to following:

        $ procmail VERBOSE=yes new-procmailrc <test.mail

    and examine your procmail log file.

    The following may be helpful with creating your run control file
    and/or finding other (possible) ways to invoke procmail:

        http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

> I'd suggest to drop procmail in the long run and provide Sam
> Varshavchik's maildrop instead. It is easier to configure and more
> robust, and it's actually maintained.

IIRC, I tried to get maildrop to run under Cygwin many years ago.
Unfortunately, I was not successful.  Maybe someone would be willing to
try with the latest Cygwin?

Jason