1.7.1 ssh on win7 Non-recoverable failure in name resolution ?

Greetings,

I've just setup a win7 ultimate vm under vmware fusion.

And of course, installed cygwin.

When I try to ssh to my favorite host using my favorite username I get
the following error:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname myhost.xyz.com: Non-recoverable
failure in name resolution

Any suggestions how to resolve this?
I saw another email where there was a similar issue with nslookup
which suggested adding a resolv.conf (which I did and that resolve
nslookup for the same host).

Thanks,
Bill