This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: "update-desktop-database" seems to not work anymore.
- From: Cesar Strauss <cestrauss at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:06:48 -0200
- Subject: Re: "update-desktop-database" seems to not work anymore.
- References: <BLU0-SMTP551FF59630416E3F1344DDDD7A0@phx.gbl>
Claude Sylvain wrote:
- Just to report that "update-desktop-database" seems to not work
correctly on Cygwin 1.7.1.
update-desktop-database.exe seems to be affected by a bug in Cygwin's
Libtool: Generated manifests need execute permission
When compiling update-desktop-database.exe, libtool first creates a
wrapper executable with the same name, for internal purposes. To defeat
UAC, it also creates a manifest file. Unfortunately, it fails to set the
execute bit, so the wrapper is non-functional. As a result, the libtool
wrapper ends up being installed and packaged, instead of the real program.
For a detailed description and test case, see the post referenced above.
- This problem make installation to fail when doing "make install"
on some projects; like "geda-gaf" project.
Coincidentally, it was the very project that lead me to investigate the
- The workaround I used to get rid of that problem is to replace the
call to "update-desktop-database" by something like "ls" in the
"Makefile" created by the autotools.
Just use ./configure --disable-update-xdg-database
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple