This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run2-0.4.0-1
- From: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:38:01 -0500
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run2-0.4.0-1
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
The run2 package provides two utilities: 'run2' and 'checkX' (as
the package is actually a renamed and updated successor to the
now-obsoleted checkx package). The first utility is a more powerful
replacement for the venerable 'run' utility that has long been a
part of the cygwin distribution. The second is a test utility that
detects whether an Xserver is active, and exits with an appropriate
'run2' launches console programs while hiding any actual console
(dos box) that may ordinarily be associated with them. In addition,
* set/modify environment variables before launching
the target program
* specify a start directory from which to launch the target
* detect whether an X server is active or not, and
launch one of two different targets -- with different
command line arguments, environment settings, and
'run2' uses an external XML configuration file to control its own
operation, and to specify the settings which should be applied to
the target program(s).
[[ compiled using gcc-4.3.4-3 ]]
As expected now that cygwin-1.7.1 has been officially released, this
run2 package is available exclusively for cygwin-1.7.
CHANGES since 0.3.2-1
* Branch for cygwin-1.7.x-specific development
* Requires cygwin-1.7 (cygwin-1.5 supported by branch-0.3.x,
but no new development is expected on that branch).
* Fix segfault when display not specified.
* Synchronize run2_gpl with recent run.exe improvements
(especially interoperation with GUI targets like mintty).
* Various other bugfixes.
* Exit with non-zero status when xml fails to parse.
* Fix unsigned underflow error when parsing short <Arg>s.
* Avoid deprecated cygwin functions.
* Eliminate all compilation warnings.
* Improve checkX behavior when used as 'barrier' in startxwin.
* New config-run2-example.sh script, creates XML specification for:
GDI: mintty (bash)
X11: rxvt-unicode (bash)
and also creates a windows shortcut (cygwin hippo icon) to launch
run2 using this XML spec.
o Makes no attempt to handle wide characters, or national
language or UTF-8 encodings -- neither in filenames to
target applications to launch, nor in the contents of the
configuration xml files.
Future Plans (PTC!)
o support for long filenames
o support for wide chars/unicode filenames
o use ustr library for more/all string handling, to support:
o wide chars/unicode in xml config file contents
volunteer run2 maintainer for cygwin
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link
on the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to
your system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is
available starting at this URL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple