rsync - convert illegal characters in paths

I'm attempting to use rsync to backup from Linux to Windows. This is mostly
working, except that paths with characters that are not legal in NTFS (< > :
" / \ | ? *) are not copied because rsync fails to create files and
directories with names containing these characters.

I've looked at the --iconv option, but I'm not aware of a character set that
includes only valid NTFS characters, and I've run into some issues with
unicode characters when I use --iconv. (Currently, filenames with unicode
characters are preserved perfectly, thanks to UTF-8 Cygwin.)

Is there a way to get rsync to convert these illegal characters? I'm more
interested in just getting all my data copied than necessarily preserving
all filenames upon restore, though having a conversion that goes both ways
would be preferable.

Thanks.