This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [1.7] Accented characters don't work
- From: Andy Koppe <andy dot koppe at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:57:52 +0000
- Subject: Re: [1.7] Accented characters don't work
- References: <op.u32qm8135o90vo@orion>
> What am I doing wrong with my first tries of 1.7? ÂI created in Windows
> Explorer a directory ÃbÃne and in it a file trÃs. ÂWhen I look at it
> with ls in an rxvt window I don't see the accented characters but the
> two utf-8 bytes. ÂHm.
Rxvt doesn't support UTF-8. It's dead upstream, so that's unlikely to
change. UTF-8 is supported by urxvt (aka rxvt-unicode), xterm, mintty,
and the Cygwin console. Urxvt and xterm require an X server.
> I then created the same directory from tcsh (my standard shell) and
> from bash.
Did you run those in rxvt as well?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple