This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Parallel downloading of Cygwin packages
- From: Chris Cormie <cjcormie at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:25:03 +1100
- Subject: Re: Parallel downloading of Cygwin packages
- References: <4AEAD9EE.email@example.com> <20091030125852.GB1361@ednor.casa.cgf.cx> <4AEBA0D2.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20091031024002.GA19570@ednor.casa.cgf.cx> <4AEBBED1.email@example.com> <20091031152025.GA22041@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
There are barriers to implementing rpm in Cygwin, the most frequently
mentioned being the fact that a cygwin process can't easily replace
cygwin1.dll or any other running executables.
If the in-Cygwin package manager can't update core Cygwin, that's not a
deal breaker IMO: there is a fair bit of useful app package management
that can be done without changing the core.
As for running executables -- well, perhaps this is more of my ignorance
:) but couldn't a well behaved package close down running services in
the preremove script? (In the case the package was being upgraded.)
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple