Re: Possible bug in passwd cygwin 1.7, "you may not change the password for"

On Jun 16 16:52, Jerry A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a "local administrator" on an otherwise locked down corporate
> laptop that is running XP and currently, cygwin 1.7, the beta.
>
> I was running the released version of cygwin and having problems
> installing sshd and passwd.  I found a thread from back in March
> regarding passwd working in domain controlled networks in Cygwin 1.7.
> So I uninstalled, downloaded, and reinstalled, and with a bit of
> trepidation found that my rxvt shells and everything else still seemed
> to be working.  Very nice.
>
> So I installed sshd and that install seemed to go just fine and I got
> the daemon running, and now I want to change the local passwd.
>
> So I tried
> $ passwd
> and went through the conversation of old, new, and new, to get:
> "You may not change the password for ..."

If it asked you for your old password, the account is no admin account.

> Is there a way to change the password on the local machine?  Or will
> cygwin in the corporate domain environment always rely on the current
> domain password?
>
> I couldn't figure out if this was a bug, or a feature needing a bit
> more documentation in passwd --help

The error message is an Access Denied type of message returned by the
Windows function to change the password.

There's no way to tell you why that is without knowing your environment
and generally have more details.  For instance, one reason that it
failed could be that you tried to change the password from a ssh session
using public-key authentication.  Did you read the new User's Guide?
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview

Corinna

Red Hat