Re: Cygwin programs doesn't support non-ASCII filenames

On 2009-5-9 23:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On May 9 23:12, Lenik wrote:
The same result, it shows that `cat' from binutils can support locale
well, while `d' isn't.

Ok, but that's not Cygwin's problem, just the d tool would need an update at one point, perhaps. OTOH, what you're doing is a bit borderline. When you start this stuff from cmd, you will have to enter the filename in the notation valid for the locale in which the application works. For d, which only works in the C locale, you would have to give the pathname using the SO/UTF-8 sequences. Right now I have no idea if there's a workaround for that, but keep in mind that we're at the beginning of real native language support. Unfortunately it's all a bit more complicated than on non-Windows systems, given the UTF-16-ness of the underlying system.

I'd like to know if there is any build plan to upgrade tools like d, zip, unzip, jar, etc. to support locale settings, rather than C only. So I can tell customers when our cygwin-based scripts will work for Chinese path names.

Or is there documented ways to build with locale support from source code? Currently the two tools `jar' and `unzip' which don't support locale settings prevent my scripts being widely deployed.

Thank you Corinna,
Lenik