Rsync issues with Windows Server 2008

Several months ago I set up an OpenSUSE box to act as a remote backup server to a Windows 2008 Server, running rsync over ssh from the Linux box, with Cygwin on the Windows server. It had been working well until a couple of weeks ago when I had a problem with one of the Access databases (.mdb file) the server hosts. Basically, rsync stopped processing and just hung when processing this file. Restarting the server did not seem to clear it up. The application using the databases was also having shutdown issues, so it appeared to be an application-caused hang. Subsequently, though, I am seeing other hang- ups. I have spent time this morning trying to diagnose the problem, which manifested itself with a printer driver (/Windows/System32/spool/ drivers/w32x86/3/PCL5ERES.DLL). Restarting the server didn't make a difference. I therefore updated Cygwin to ensure I was on the latest version:

$ cygcheck -V
cygcheck version 1.90.4.1
System Checker for Cygwin
Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 Red Hat, Inc.
Compiled on Jun 12 2008

After restarting the server, I ran the backup script. Now it is hanging on bash.exe, which I assume was updated as part of the Cygwin update. The backup command in the script is:

rsync -auvz --exclude-from=$EXCLUDED2 --rsh="ssh -i $KEY -l Backup -p 3390" domain.name:/ $BACKUPDIR2

The variables are of course defined in the script. There are no errors written to stdout until the script is cancelled - it simply sits not processing until it is cancelled.

I am remote from both servers and have had no connection interruptions during my testing.

I'd appreciate any ideas on resolving this.

Thanks,

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group Inc.

Office:		604-628-5434
Cell:   	604-866-2848
Email:  	des at DouganConsulting dot com

www.DouganConsulting.com

Peace of Mind, One Computer at a Time.