Setup - command line only

I was hoping someone would consider a version of setup.exe that only ran on the command line, i.e. a non-graphical setup program. This would be especially helpful for remotely updating packages of the Cygwin suite. I think it's ironic that the Cygwin suite which specializes on command line utilities only has a graphical user interface for setup/updates.

A separate question might be, why can't setup update itself? Even, "click here to download the new setup" would be a setup forward.

Just some ideas. Hopefully, this isn't the 300th time someone has asked, but I did do a Google before sending this.
Kevin