Re: 64 bit system compatibility

I have been running cygwin on 64-bit Vista for over a year now.  In my
configuration, I have disabled UAC, so if you have that enabled it
might be something to look at.  Also, any of the X programs require
that the X server is running before they will run.  You can start X by
opening a normal cygwin window, then typing "startx".  You should see
an "X" in the windows system tray.

If you're just looking for an xterm-like thing, I suggest you also
take a look at rxvt.  It is similar to xterm but does not require the
full X server to be running for it to work.  MinTTY is a recent
alternative that others here have said works well too.

PS. You typically do not need a "64-bit version" of any kind of
software for it to work on Vista 64-bit.  Vista will also run 32-bit
applications.