Updating failure

I had not updated my Cygwin installation for a couple of months, not
since the major changes to Cygwin/X, because I was afraid of
breaking X.  I decided to bite the bullet today, so I shutdown all
my Cygwin processes including cygrunsrv, ran setup.exe, selected my
usual download site, ftp://cygwin.osuosl.org, and began downloading
and installing the screen-and-a-half worth of updates.  Part way
through the process, I started getting errors about entry points in
cygwin1.dll not being found.  I clicked OK to each of them and
setup.exe finally finished.  However, when I tried to open a bash
window, I got more error messages and could not run bash.  (I know
the messages would probably help here, but I figured the
installation was seriously borked and all I had to do was figure out
why and fix it, so I didn't record them all.)  I tried running
setup.exe again, hoping it would detect and correct any missing
files, but it just said no updates were found.

I tried forcing a reinstall of just the cygwin package through
setup.exe, but doing so made no difference.

I also tried running setup.exe and selecting other mirrors, but all
those I tried said that their something.ini was older than mine.

I copied a cygwin1.dll from a working installation to the broken one
and that allowed me to get a bash prompt, but there was a message
about something in /etc that could be found or run, my PATH did not
include any of the usual Cygwin directories, and the bash prompt was
something like "bash3.2$" instead of the usual "<user>@<host>
<pwd>\n$".

I am attaching the result of "cygcheck -srv" in the hope that that
will be sufficient for someone to find the problem.

I could completely uninstall Cygwin and reinstall it, but I would
like to avoid that if I could, largely because I have customizations
in $HOME, /etc and /usr/local.

These problems seem similar to those reported by Ken Fuchs earlier
today in "Several problems upgrading cygwin & cygwin/x on Feb. 3-4
via kernel.org mirror", especially the occurrences of pop-up windows
containing the message, "The procedure entry point strtoimax could
not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll."  However,
there were enough differences that I thought this should be a
separate thread.

Regards,
Gary