Re: Status of Compatibility with Windows Server 2008 (2k8)

Oren Elrad wrote:
Perhaps it's bad form to reply to my own message, but I've got the 2k8
installation (x86) up and running and I'm ready to take the plunge and
report back on what works and what doesn't work.

Should I use the 1.5 release on the main page, or use the 1.7 release
(setup-1.7.exe)?
Alternatively, should I not even bother because it is known that
Win2k8 and Cygwin just don't play well together?

~Oren

PS. If the lack of reply to my previous question was due to some
failure on my part, I'm quite sorry. I did check the FAQ and the
archives of this list for any information in Cygwin's relationship
with Win2k8. Google was also rather unhelpful in finding up-to-date
information.

There have been some reports here on Cygwin and W2K8, though generally none that I recall suggest any major issue with W2K8. Since I don't use W2K8, I can't say whether 1.5 or 1.7 would work better there. It depends on your needs. 1.7 is definitely where things are headed and should give you a better experience overall, especially for things like sshd that wants to change users (see /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.readme and/or <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-11/msg00000.html>). If you're up to using beta software, I'd recommend trying that.

Holliston, MA 01746