Installed packages info (and backups)

Does anyone know where cygwin stores its information about which packages
are currently installed? e.g. is it in the Windows registry?  Is it on the
main cygwin drive or is it on the drive that contains my (local) package
repository?  Or does setup.exe work it all out at run time?

Here's my scenario....  I happened to install cygwin on my C: drive.  But my
local download repository is on a different drive (E: drive).  Suppose I've
installed 500 cygwin packages by a certain date and I back up my C: drive.
Sometime later I install 3 further packages, X, Y and Z but something goes
wrong (possibly not even connected with cygwin).  If I delete my C: drive
and restore it from the backup, will cygwin's setup.exe still think that X,
Y and Z are installed or will it (correctly) realise that only the first 500
packages are installed?

John