How do I set the default path?

I am new to cygwin. I am running cygwin on XP.

When I start cygwin, I am put into the /usr/bin directory. I can not run
anything, even ls, without putting a ./ in front of it.

I am using this XP box at work. I am able to directly change my windows
path.

Is there a way for me to setup cygwin so that I can run commands in the
/usr/bin directory, with the ./ ?