Re: Defrag and some other exe not seen by cygwin on XP64

 Bruce Dobrin  wrote:

> This is weird
> I couldn't find it in my search of the site;
> I was on a XP64 machine and tried to run the defrag command from the Cygwin shell
> and it could not locate the command.  I could see the command via the cmd shell.
> Below I cd usng the cmd shell on 64bit XP and using ls it is not seen and dir it is seen:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>ls |grep defrag
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir |grep defrag
> 02/16/2007  08:33 PM            35,840 defrag.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\system32>cacls defrag.exe
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>                                NT AUTHORITY\BATCH:R
>                                Everyone:R
>                                NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE:R
>                                NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE:R
>                                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
> I then copied the file in the cmd shell to c:\cygwin\ and then Cygwin can see it there:
> dobrin@dodo:/c/WINDOWS/system32> ls -al ./defrag
> ls: cannot access ./defrag: No such file or directory
> dobrin@dodo:/c/WINDOWS/system32> cd /
> dobrin@dodo:/> ls -al ./defrag
>> -rwx------+ 1 dobrin Domain Users 35840 Feb 16  2007 ./defrag
> I confirmed that this isn't an issue on XP32 or Vista
>
> And Ideas?
> Thanks

For 32 bit processes (like  bash), C:\Windows\System32 is aliased to C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
64 bit processes (like the 64 bit version of cmd) see the real C:\Windows\System32.

For more about this weirdness, see:
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci1204121,00.html

If you would like your bash shell see the content of the real System32 folder, you can do the following:

As administrator in a 64 bit cmd (NOT a bash shell):
C:
cd \Windows
mklink /D System64 System32

Then you can access the real System32 folder via the System64 symbolic link:
$ ls -l /cygdrive/c/Windows/System64/Defrag.exe
-rwxrwx---+ 2 ???????? ???????? 232960 Jan 19  2008 /cygdrive/c/Windows/System64/Defrag.exe

HTH,

- André Bleau, Cygwin's volunteer OpenGL package maintainer.

Please direct any question or comment about the OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com