Re: setup.exe won't update

On 2008-10-06, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>> I have Cygwin installed on three PCs running Windows XP.  I run setup.exe
>> periodically on all of them to keep the packages up to date.  When I did
>> this last, a few days ago, setup.exe updated the openssl, grep and vim
>> packages on two of the machines but the third reported that there was
>> "Nothing to Install/Update".  That third machine still has the 2.5.1a-4
>> version of grep while the other machines updated grep to 2.5.3-1, so I
>> know at least that package is out of date.  I tried again this morning
>> with the same results.
>>
>> All three machines are running setup.exe version 2.573.2.3.  I regularly
>> use either ftp://cygwin.osuosl.org or ftp://mirrors.kernel.org as a
>> download site for all three machines.  I tried both on the problematic
>> machine with the same results.  I've had Cygwin installed for a couple of
>> years on this machine with no problems.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of that has changed on that machine is that I
>> recently bought an HP Media Vault 2120 and installed the bundled NTI
>> Shadow backup software.  I thought I had successfully run setup.exe since
>> then, but I'm not sure.  I have the Norton Internet Security suite on that
>> machine as well, and while I haven't changed anything on it myself, it
>> does regularly update itself.
>>
>> I've attached the output of cygcheck -srv.
>>
>> What can I do to get this setup.exe to find new packages again?
>
> Perhaps it did but you didn't stop your services before upgrading?
> If so, you'll need to reboot.  Otherwise, try uninstalling Norton
> and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I rebooted at the time and have
rebooted several times since, for other reasons, but the behavior of
setup.exe remains the same.

Unfortunately, I can't uninstall Norton on this machine.

That being said, I wouldn't think either one of those issues would
have contributed to this problem.  (Yes, I know BLODA members can
have anomalous effects on Cygwin, and I'm not trying to argue, I'm
just trying to understand what could be going on so that I can find
a solution.)

Running services usually cause problems during the installation
phase, not during the package-detection phase.  I haven't gotten to
the package installation phase since this problem began because
setup.exe keeps telling me that there are no packages to update.

I thought that dodgy apps usually interfered with the cygwin DLL's
interface to Windows, not with setup.exe, since the latter is a
pretty straightforward Windows application, AIUI.

I did some searching for setup.exe debug hints and found out about
/var/log/setup.log.full, so I've attached a copy of that.  I also
looked in /etc/setup for any clues that might be there.  The
installed.db file includes the line,

   grep grep-2.5.1a-4.tar.bz2 0

and the <Local Package Directory>/<server>/setup.ini files all
contain "install:" lines for grep like this one:

   install: release/grep/grep-2.5.1a-4.tar.bz2 154056 790070ff3cbf093d2c54796a5b0e3f2e

The final digit after the - varies, but all are version 2.5.1a.  The
latest package is grep-2.5.3-1.  (I'm just using grep as an
example.)

So does any of that help explain what's going on?  Is there any
other information I can provide?

Thanks,
Gary