Re: Can't use special characters \n or \r

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Dave Korn  wrote:
>  You omitted a vital qualifier from my earlier post ...

Sorry.  I certainly had no intention of misrepresenting what you said.
 I interpreted the newline thing not as a qualifier but as a separate
point, which I didn't attempt to contradict.

It's certainly true that you can't treat the newline like any other
character with sed because of its line-oriented nature.  But that
doesn't change the fact that "normal" sed  - at least, the one that
comes in /usr/bin on Cygwin - does, in fact, "speak C-style escape
chars".   And since it has no trouble with carriage returns, the main
thing the OP was trying to do works fine.

Although, as y'all noted, d2u would be the simpler way to do it.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>