question about cygwin C++ sockets

I have an application I've been working on for a couple years now that uses this C++ socket library: http://www.alhem.net/Sockets/index.html.

I recently decided to try upgrading the sockets library I had to the latest one, and have been having conflict problems with building my app with the new library, which now depends on the winsock32 library. I am unable to build my app now, because cygwin's implementation of the gethostname function conflicts with winsock's:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../include/w32api/winsock2.h:635: error: declaration of C function `int gethostname(char*, int)' conflicts with /usr/include/sys/unistd.h:206: error: previous declaration `int gethostname(char*, size_t)' here

I found this message, and was wondering if the OP's suggestion has been addressed or included in later versions of cygwin gcc? (I'm guessing no.)

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-05/msg00627.html

It was quite a while ago, but I'm having the same problem as the OP describes, with recent releases of cygwin and gcc (the version included in the current cygwin distro).

Compiling with the -mno-cygwin flag (recommended by the socket library author) gives me different errors (can't find pthread.h).

Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks,
*Lisa

--