Re: Patch to allow Cron to use non-POSIX shells like Powershell.exe and CMD.exe

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:43:25PM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>The sh process is not "extra" since it's replaced by the powershell
>process, right? Unless "exec" works differently in Cygwin, which is
>entirely possible....

Nope, you're right.  It is replaced as long as it isn't the top-level
cygwin process.

There still is going to be neglible overhead from running a shell to
start a shell but, since this isn't an interactive process, it is hard
to see why that would matter.

Obligatory free software inspirational observation:

Using the available tools to solve the problem seems like a winning way
of doing this to me but the power of free software is that we don't have
to dictate how things are done.  If the OP wants to maintain his own
patch (as he does) then he has the power to do just that.

cgf