Re: rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your subject"?]

Daniel Barclay wrote:

Well, I didn't specify anything.  I haven't touched any of
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources, or given any
options on the command line Iused to invoke rxvt.

I am using whatever the CygWin packages and installer installed on my
machine, which evidently changes in non-intuitive ways when I re-run it
to modify the combinations of packages I have installed even though I'm
not (consciously) touching any X11 or font-related packages).

No. There is something else going on, but Ruby does NOT affect rxvt.

However, I suggest rather than blindly re-installing/un-installing packages at random, you instead read the documentation.

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-20050409.README

Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I started rxvt,
it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on a dark
blue background--rather than the way it started immediately before--normally
spaced characters, in black, on a white background.

"before" == default when rxvt can't find, and is not explicitly given, any configuration information at all.

"after" == rxvt found the default system app-defaults file (/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt) but you do not have the fonts that it specifies.

Either install the bitstream vera fonts in your Windows sytem, (e.g. go to Control Panel/Fonts...
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Or change the specified font. You can do the latter by editing the /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt file itself, or overriding it for your particular account by
(1) creating a ~/.Xdefaults file that specifies a different font
(2) explicitly starting rxvt with the '-fn <some font>' option

Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?

My guess is that rxvt's own postinstall script, which is supposed to copy /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt into the actual /etc/X11/app-defaults/ directory failed the first time you ran setup. Then second time you ran setup, it tried again to run all the post-install scripts that had not yet succeeded. This second time, it worked, and you are now the proud owner of an /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt file, which rxvt.exe now finds.

Hmm. Those colors seem to match what's in /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt:

Rxvt*background: #000040
Rxvt*foreground: #ffffbf
Rxvt*scrollBar: true
Rxvt*scrollBar_right: true
Rxvt*font: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-bold-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*saveLines: 10000
!Rxvt*loginshell: true
Rxvt.backspacekey: ^H

What's the command to determine which cygwin package installs that file?

cygcheck -f /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt

which will tell you it is, perhaps unsurprisingly, installed by the rxvt package. However, that is the *default* version of the file. The actual file that is used by rxvt at runtime is in /etc/X11/app-defaults/, not in /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/. It is copied from one location to the other by (again, surprise!) the rxvt post-installation script, which is automatically executed by setup.exe the first time you install the rxvt package -- or every time you run setup.exe, until the script succeeds if there were unexpected problems.

Is there a dependency problem in that that package does not depend on the package
containing the font that that first package depends on?

No.

Most importantly, how to I get rvxt to work right (and consistently)?

Change the two lines that start with Rxvt*font and Rxvt*boldfont in /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt with the following (or override using ~/.Xdefaults). Each entry should be all on one line, and mind the space between Lucida and Console (ditto Courier and New):

Either

Rxvt*font: -outline-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont: -outline-Lucida Console-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

Or

Rxvt*font: -outline-Courier New-normal-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont: -outline-Courier New-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

Alternatively, you can specify the font on the command line (but there, you have to use "windows" names for the fonts, not the XLFD names above. That is,

rxvt.exe -fn "Lucida Console-14" ...

or

rxvt.exe -fn "Courier New-16"

--