Re: widely-spaced characters in rxvt

Daniel Barclay wrote:

What causes rxvt to switch to displaying characters with lots of space in between them?

The font it's using.

I heard that there's some interaction between X11-mode rxvt setup and plain-window
rxvt setup.  I don't think I've installed any X11 libraries, servers, or even
fonts since rxvt was working right, but now rxvt is acting up again.

You have to check what's the default font [1] or if you changed it [2].

There was a thread on the list, long ago, about the default being a font that comes with the X11 fonts. I'm not sure what's the case right now, but a widely-spaced font sounds like a font that you have installed but lacks the necessary hints (that's a X11 font term).

[1] /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt or URxvt;
[2] ~/.Xdefaults
--
René Berber