Re: Newbie needs help using mingw with cygwin

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 06:49:06PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> If you really want to use Cygwin as a host to build MinGW (native
> windows) programs you need to treat it like cross compiling and specify
> "--host=i686-pc-mingw32".  But this is most likely NOT what you intended
> to accomplish at all in this case.

Hi Brian,

I've been wondering about this. Why is it necessary to "cross-compile"
from cygwin to mingw when the cygwin environment has the native mingw
compiler? To me, it seems like if the mingw compiler is capable of
running in the build environment, it should just be called and work.

Is the cygwin mingw compiler a cross compiler? or is it the actual
native mingw compiler?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi