This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: git-184.108.40.206-1
- From: Eric Blake <ebb9 at byu dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:42:55 -0600
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: git-220.127.116.11-1
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
A new release of git, 18.104.22.168-1, has been uploaded, replacing 1.5.5-1 as
current, and leaving 1.5.4-1 as the previous version.
This is a new upstream release. See also the package documentation in
/usr/share/doc/git-22.214.171.124/, along with the attached upstream release notes.
When compiled out of the box, the upstream git maintainers cater to older
cygwin releases, and intentionally disable certain features that have been
reported on their mailing list, even though they work with the latest
cygwin. Therefore, this build turns those features back on. However, it
means that this version does assume that you are not using FAT or FAT32 to
hold your repositories, since they do not store file permissions very
Git is popular version control system designed to handle very large
projects with speed and efficiency; it is used mainly for various open
source projects, most notably the Linux kernel.
Git falls in the category of distributed source code management tools,
similar to e.g. GNU Arch or Monotone (or BitKeeper in the proprietary
world). Every Git working directory is a full-fledged repository with full
revision tracking capabilities, not dependent on network access or a
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on the
http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your system.
Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up 'git' from
the 'Devel' category.
Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
allowed due to bandwidth limitations. This means that you will need to
find a mirror which has this update, please choose the one nearest to you:
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.
volunteer cygwin git maintainer
CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO:
To unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at the
"List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send email
to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Cygwin)
Comment: Public key at home.comcast.net/~ericblake/eblake.gpg
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
GIT v126.96.36.199 Release Notes
Fixes since v1.5.5
* "git archive --prefix=$path/" mishandled gitattributes.
* "git fetch -v" that fetches into FETCH_HEAD did not report the summary
the same way as done for updating the tracking refs.
* "git svn" misbehaved when the configuration file customized the "git
log" output format using format.pretty.
* "git submodule status" leaked an unnecessary error message.
* "git log --date-order --topo-order" did not override the earlier
date-order with topo-order as expected.
* "git bisect good $this" did not check the validity of the revision
* "url.<there>.insteadOf" did not work correctly.
* "git clean" ran inside subdirectory behaved as if the directory was
explicitly specified for removal by the end user from the top level.
* "git bisect" from a detached head leaked an unnecessary error message.
* "git bisect good $a $b" when $a is Ok but $b is bogus should have
atomically failed before marking $a as good.
* "git fmt-merge-msg" did not clean up leading empty lines from commit
log messages like "git log" family does.
* "git am" recorded a commit with empty Subject: line without
* when given a commit log message whose first paragraph consists of
multiple lines, "git rebase" squashed it into a single line.
* "git remote add $bogus_name $url" did not complain properly.
Also comes with various documentation updates.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html