With gdb under cygwin I'm getting:

0x00405309 in image_doubles_read ()
(gdb)  where
#0  0x00405309 in image_doubles_read ()
#1  0x004063c8 in doublesimage_read ()
#2  0x004076fc in main ()
(gdb) info locals
No symbol table info available.

Now, the program was definitely compiled with -g, which has been
sufficient on other systems (Suns) to give me line numbers in the
past.  According to what I can find with Google it should be
sufficient, and I can find little about this problem on cygwin with
my searching.  Have I missed something obvious?  I updated my cygwin
last week using the latest setup.exe, and the versions

Looks like you have added -s (strip) to your gcc or -S to your ld. man ld: --strip-all, --strip-debug

--
Reini