De: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] En nombre de Sylvain RICHARD
Enviado el: viernes, 08 de febrero de 2008 19:25
Para: cygwin@cygwin.com
Asunto: Re: Uninstalling Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:24:59AM +0100, PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
>

>> Asunto: RE: Uninstalling Cygwin
>>
>> Wonderful, merçi beaucoup, Sylvain, that worked.  Didn't realise this
>> could be so easy.  Cygwin documentation / FAQ people, maybe this would
>> be wise to incorporate somewhere in the uninstall documentation on your
>> website, as I suspect all users running winXP and higher experience
>> these problems when having chacged file ownership.  Thanks again.
>>
>> For this , include the FAQ in a Wiki is a good option.  One also can
>> include user tips.
>>

> You should have paid closer attention to the discussion.  This would be
> just the kind of confusion we don't need.  Having people update the
> "FAQ" with a "tip" that was *already* in the "FAQ" would just cause more
> confusion.
>
> cgf

I have to say that I agree with cgf. I should have looked in the FAQ
before, it would have saved some typing. I have had exactly the same
issue before and perhaps didn't find the answer at that time. People who
come from a UNIX background tend to use chown or chmod but may have
already deleted chown.exe and chmod.exe. Perhaps adding the exact cacls
invocation in the FAQ would be helpful

I do not think that an external wiki would be a good idea, as the
developers already have to face numerous questions arising from outdated
documentation. The most common source of questions on the cygwin mailing
list was at a time SSH (mis-)configuration. Users followed wrong
directions and did not run ssh-host-config but tried to setup everything
by hand. And when MS reduced the privileges of the SYSTEM account for
XP, everything broke.

Best regards

Sylvain RICHARD