Re: Equivalent of recycle bin?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Eric Lilja <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I messed up royally today when I was merging two bash scripts.
>  When I was going to test if my argument handling worked I had forgot to
>  comment out a call to "rm -f" that took a relative path and since the
>  script wasn't executed where it was supposed to it removed several
>  files. Many of those are easily replaced but some were source files that
>  have been modified the past months and the last backup was from july
>  23rd 2007. =/
>
>  I know I should robustify my script but I was wondering if there's an
>  equivalent of the recycle bin I can use so I can easily restore files
>  that were not supposed to be deleted?
>
>  - Eric

No, there is no "recycle bin" in Linux.  Sorry.  The best you can do
is do a google for "undelete linux" and see if any of that helps you.
You *may* be able to recover the files if you take a bit-for-bit image
of the disk, then manually look through that X GB file for the disk
clusters that contain some strings that you remember are in those
scripts.  Chances are that if you didn't shut down the server
immediately after, the files are gone.

Of course you know that you should always have backups, but most
people need a catastrophe to really understand *how* important they
are.  Consider this your catastrophe.