Re: "net use" (and "net config")

Grant Edwards a écrit :
On 2008-01-16, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

I'm running Cygwin sshd on a WinXP-Pro machine.  When I ssh-in
using a password, I can map drives with "net use".  When I set
up an authorized_keys file so I don't have to enter a password,
"net use" stops working: I get a system error 5 "access
denied", and it appears to be generated by the machine where
the "net use" is being run, not by the SMB server (it never
sees a request).

[...]

Is there any way to get mapped drives and public-key
authentication working together?

Perhaps I should add that the problem doesn't exist under
Win2K: "net use" works fine regardless of the ssh
authentication method.

This is a bit offlist but maybe that's because under Windows 2000, network drives are available for the whole system once mounted. With Windows XP, the very same function used to map a network drives jailed them in the current "userland".

It means that you can have the same (network) drive letter assigned multiple times, one in each userland.

This is particularly painful when running programs that elevate their privileges as far as the elevated process is not aware of the network drives of the user...

FYI, the "net config workstation" command isn't working from a ssh shell.

Nicolas