Re: Reliable old script loses data on new Cygwin installation

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:07:09AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I would be grateful if someone could suggest a way to test
> > this.  Would it make sense (and is it possible) to replace
> > the Cygwin kernel or the "coreutils" package (because of
> > "mv") with earlier versions and see if the script works then?
>
> You should first create a minimal, self-contained script which allows to
> reproduce the effect reliably on your machines.  A really minimal
> script.  Self-contained.  So that everybody can run it to try to
> reproduce the effect without relying on your environment.

Okay.

> Then you could try to change the versions of coreutils and gawk.  At no
> point in this thread did you mention different Cygwin versions.  Are you
> running 1.5.24 on all of them including your laptop?  If so, there's no
> point in experimenting with different Cygwin DLLs.

On my laptop, I am using (uname -srv):
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.22(0.156/4/2) 2006-11-13 17:01

(FWIW, I agree with Igor Pechtchanski's suggestion [1]
that the Cygwin FAQ include more detail on how to
check version [2].)

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-02/msg00121.html
[2] http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.what.version

> If you found the difference, you could send the observation here
> together with your really minimal, self-contained script, and a quick
> description what to do to reproduce the effect and how it can be
> observed.

Thanks, understood - I'll give this a try.

Tom Baker

--
Tom Baker - tbaker@tbaker.de - baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de