This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
- From: "Helge Stenström" <h dot stenstrom at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:48:17 +0100
- Subject: cron problems
I want to use cron on my laptop to run backup jobs to a network disk
regularly. Therefore, I first used crontab:
and then used cron-config to start the cron daemon.
I no longer remember the exact questions, but there are some issues.
1. cron-config asked about my password, and it was visible in
cleartext when I entered it. Is that a bug?
2. What is the password used for? A policy forces me to change
password on my Windows account every 60 days. Will the cron daemon try
to use the old password, so that I will be locked out from the
account? If that happens, it will be difficult to fix, because I
3. After I enabled cron, I installed a program. It took much longer
than expected, 35 minutes instead of 2-5 minutes. Meanwhile, there
were many (> 10 each) processes that used a lot of memory:
I manually killed these processes, and the intallation could finally finnish.
The crontab at this time consisted of "touch filename" every minute.
Shouldn't load the CPU.
Is this a known issue?
Any hints are appreciated.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html