RE: Re: Possible bug: d does not seem to read ~/.d.conf

On 10 August 2007 16:09, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> * Phil Betts (Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:04:11 +0100)
>> Thorsten Kampe wrote on Friday, August 10, 2007 2:21 PM::

>>> These resources don't contradict the info file but state the same.
>>> Fact is that d under Cygwin ignores ~/.d.conf while under Linux it works
>>> as expected.

>> If you put "hidden-files = true" in ~/.d.conf it works as advertised.
>
> Phil, please, you don't know what you're talking about and you don't
> know what I and Ronald were talking about.

  Thorsten, he may or may not know what you're talking about, but your statement

is demonstrably incorrect (see my previous post for that demonstration), and since you wrote (back at the start of the thread):

> I have therefore put
>
>   hidden-files-shown=true
>
> into my ~/.d.conf,

and since I have demonstrated it works fine if you put "hidden-files=true" into your .d.conf instead, this all makes it pretty clear that there is an error in the manual.  From the info page, section "Configuration files":

`hidden-files-shown'
     Boolean option, the same as the command line option
     `--hidden-files-shown'.  *Note Command Line Options::.

From the info page, section "Command line options"

`--hidden-files'
`-H'
     Include hidden files in output.  These are files with a leading
     period in their name.  This defaults to OFF.  Use `-H' (`-H+') or
     `--hidden-files=true' on the command line, or `hidden-files=true'
     in the configuration file, to turn it on.

  Please read more carefully.  Phil has correctly picked up on the difference between "hidden-files=" and "hidden-files-shown=".  The man page is inconsistent, but it does get it right in one place.

  My guess is that the option used to be called "hidden-files-shown" both on the command line *and* in the config file, and somebody decided the "-shown" was superfluous, and removed it, and they only fixed up one part of the manual and forgot to take care of the other.

    cheers,
      DaveK