RE: [Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

On 26 July 2007 01:34, Tim Prince wrote:

> David.L.Goldsmith@noaa.gov wrote:
>> First, how do I subscribe to the list?
> Instructions are at www.cygwin.com and at the bottom of each forwarded
> e-mail.
>
>> The other problem I'm having is that Mr. Sheppard states that after
>> cygwin is installed and ATLAS downloaded and unpacked, it is built w/
>> make, but my cygwin installation does not appear to have come w/ make -
>> am I supposed to download and build that separately?
> make is available on the cygwin setup selection window, as are other
> development packages you would need.
> Generally speaking, putting cygwin stuff in your Windows environment
> should be avoided.  This list doesn't like to spend a lot of time
> telling people how to muck up and later fix their setup.

  That's a bit overcautious.  In the case of the CYGWIN environment variable
it's even wrong, since some of the options (tty) you have to have set /before/
you fire up your shell.  And I /always/ put cygwin's bin dir in my 'doze PATH,
so that I can use it from a cmd shell.  Doesn't cause me any problems.

    cheers,
      DaveK