RE: Own Compiled Program Immediately Crashes on Startup

On 18 July 2007 11:53, Hans Streibel wrote:

>>> The package has an explanation on how to compile
>>> jove under cygwin. I followed that explanation and
>>> compiling, linking and installing went fine.
>>> However the resulting program immediately exits when
>>> I try to start it.
>>>
>>> I even inserted a printf() statement at the very beginning
>>> of the main() function but its text is not displayed.
>>> Therefore there seems to be something going wrong at the very
>>> beginning of the program.
>>
>> It may be missing a DLL it needs.  Run "cygcheck </path/to/your/binary>"
>> and see if the output lists anything missing.
>
> $ cygcheck `pwd`/jjove.exe
> C:/cygwin/home/hstreibel/private/src/jove/jove4.16.0.65/jjove.exe
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-8.dll
>     C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
>
> That looks ok for me...

  It looks pretty odd to me that the only dll the executable is linked against
is the cygncurses one, and that the cygwin dll is only linked as an indirect
dependency of that.  It could certainly be a problem if a cygwin-based dll
gets initialised earlier in the link order than the cygwin dll itself.

  I'm going to have to take a guess here: did the instructions tell you to use
"-mno-cygwin" in the compiler flags?  I would only expect to see this kind of
output if a non-cygwin (i.e. conventional win32) program had somehow been
linked against a cygwin dll (or a cygwin dll import stub library).

    cheers,
      DaveK