command line gmailer

I did look in the archive and the suggestion to use exim, a smtp server,
seems like overkill. Does anyone have any advice for way to send emails to
gmail from the command line? I tried
http://robertmaldon.blogspot.com/2006/10/sending-email-through-google-smtp-from.html
, but my Authen-SASL failed since the perl install was looking for binary
krb5-config. Then I tried MME::Lite but that failed because of an SSL issue.
Since then I've ventured into Blat.exe land, but its really beating me down
and I'm hoping that there must be a simpler way. Does anyone have any
suggestions?
Thanks
Patrick