Non-trusted domain user causes mkpasswd and mkgroup to fail

I am trying to use mkpasswd and mkgroup to add entries for my user
account in an AD domain that is different my workstation login domain.
There is no trust relationship between the domains, and the user name is
different in each domain.  When I try this, I receive an error:

"matseitz@matseitz-wxp02 /etc
$ mkpasswd -d neopath -u seitz
mkpasswd (272): [1326] Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password."

I took a network trace, and saw that "mkpasswd" appears to use my login
domain and user name (CISCO\matseitz) to access the "neopath" domain
controller.  This fails, because there is no trust relationship between
the "CISCO" and "neopath" domains.

Is there a way to tell "mkpasswd" to instead use "neopath\seitz" to
connect to the "neopath" domain controller?