Re: dll link error using Cygwin gcc

Harold Mills wrote:

> As Dave Korn and Brian Dessent both pointed out, my problem was that gcc was
> compiling Hello.c with the default cdecl calling convention, but the library
> I wanted to link to uses the stdcall convention. Adding __stdcall to the
> function declarations in the header file eci.h fixed the problem. Dave
> suggested using the --enable-stdcall-fixup link option, which from the ld
> documentation did seem like it would do the trick, but I couldn't get it to
> work. I specified it to gcc as -Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup, but still got the
> "undefined reference" error message.

The --enable-stdcall-fixup option is only useful in the situation where
the compiler used the correct calling convention but for whatever reason
the symbol decorations still don't match.

Or in other words, no linker switch will ever be able to make the
compiler switch between cdecl (caller pops) calling convention and
stdcall (callee pops) calling convention.  And even if you were somehow
successful getting linking to work when the underlying calling
convention was not correct, you'd get crashes or stack exhaustion or
worse.

Brian