Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: brltty 3.8

Christopher Faylor, le Thu 07 Jun 2007 12:37:44 -0400, a écrit :
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:08:59AM +0800, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >To the best of my knowledge, there is no "unixish" way in cygwin
> >to access these pipes, so we just used CreateNamedPipe().
>
> So don't use named pipes.

What instead?  Just TCP/IP? (it's quite sluggish).

> >As a result, we have a windows handle to deal with.  If we used the
> >cygwin sockets for the TCP/IP connextions, we would end up with two
> >types of sockets, which is hairy to handle.  Yes, we could use
> >open_osfhandle() for converting the named pipe socket into a cygwin
> >socket, but we still have to manage the windows connexion stuff, etc.
> >Anyway, we already have the code using windows TCP/IP sockets and named
> >pipes working correctly for the mingw32 port, and it _does_ work fine
> >with cygwin too, so for maintainability reasons, it is useless to make
> >the code more complex just for using cygwin functions.
>
> Once again, I have to ask why whatever linux does in this scenario is
> not adequate for Cygwin.  I am assuming that linux uses fifos.

If we weren't using windows named pipes, we could just use cygwin
sockets and that would be fine.  But we use windows named pipes and end
up with two kinds of sockets.  On Linux we only have "file descriptors"
and it's fine indeed.

> >> You're now mentioning named pipes which adds another data point but if
> >> brltty is working on linux then I don't see why it can't be using
> >> linux-like techniques on cygwin, cygwin bugs notwithstanding.
> >
> >Because it has to communicate with other, non-cygwin, applications
> >
> >> You don't appear to be saying that you've stumbled over a cygwin bug.
> >
> >I'm not (except maybe "cygwin doesn't provide a way to connect to
> >windows named pipes).
>
> Yes, if you have a 3/8 inch wrench and want to tighten a 13mm nut, you
> will have a hard time.  However, you could change wrenches.

And use which wrenches instead, here?

> >> Only if you can clearly communicate why the linux API doesn't work.
> >
> >I already said it in a previous mail: because it has to communicate with
> >other, non-cygwin, applications.
>
> Cygwin does routinely communicate with other non-cygwin applications.

(I'm not afraid of repeating questions) Through what?

> It appears that you are assuming that Cygwin doesn't do whatever the
> linux port does or that,

The problem is not that it doesn't do what the linux port does, but that
to my knowledge, the native "local pipe" notion in windows are named
pipes, which doesn't have any Linux equivalent, and vice-versa
concerning local sockets.

Samuel