Error opening script file

I have installed the script language JRuby, which comes with two
executables: A binary jruby, and a
shell script jirb (for interactive purpose). I can call jruby, but I get
an error message when calling
jirb:

~/ruby_test $ ls -l $JRUBY_HOME/bin/jirb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rfischer mkgroup-l-d 323 Apr 23 23:30
/cygdrive/h/jruby-0.9.9/bin/jirb
~/ruby_test $ !$
$JRUBY_HOME/bin/jirb
Error opening script file: \cygdrive\h\jruby-0.9.9\bin\jirb (Das System
kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden)
~/ruby_test $ head -n 1 !$
head -n 1 $JRUBY_HOME/bin/jirb
#!/usr/bin/env jruby

From this dialogue, you can see that jirb has the correct x-permissions,
but still the script
file can't be opened. My guess is that bash can't load the correct
interpreter file, so that's why
I also have listed above the first line of the jirb script - but it
seems that this is looking fine.
Any ideas what is going wrong?

(BTW, the German language error message above translates to: "The system
can't find the specified path".
If someone happens to know how to convince Cygwin to use English error
messages only, please let me
know too (I thought this would depend on the settings of the LANG
environment variable, but setting
it to "en" doesn't seem to have any effect.)

Ronald

--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer@venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162