RE: tcsh-6.15.00-1 can't find cat, cut, sed

On 16 April 2007 11:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Apr 13 16:23, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> I just upgraded to tcsh 6.15.00-1.  When I start a login shell,
>> I get the following error messages:
>>
>> cat: Command not found.
>> cut: Command not found.
>> cat: Command not found.
>> cut: Command not found.
>> sed: Command not found.
>>
>> (The command I use to do this is
>>     "C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -fn 9x15 -fb 9x15bold -e /bin/tcsh -l"
>> executed from a Windows shortcut in my Start menu.)
>>
>> I've tracked this down to the script "/etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh",
>> which is invoked from "/etc/csh.cshrc".  The complete.tcsh script
>> assumes that $PATH / $path has been set, when in fact it has not.

  It has the right to assume that.  It's completely invalid to launch a shell
without /bin in your $PATH.

> Hang on, I'm wondering how this is supposed to be a bug.  When you start
> a local Cygwin shell, the cygwin.bat script sets $PATH for you, so that
> it contains /bin.  You could easily start rxvt the same way.  I'm not
> exactly happy to create a special Cygwin complete.tcsh script, which
> diverges that much from the upstream version, just because the shell is
> called with a wrongly set $PATH.

  Besides, if you startup tcsh on a linux box with an empty $PATH, you'll get
the exact same problems, so Cygwin is DTRT-ing here!  Here's an example:

Last login: Sun Apr 15 19:50:34 2007 from 192.168.8.46
[dk@ori ~]$ tcsh
[dk@ori ~]$ ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 7801 pts/31   00:00:00 bash
 7829 pts/31   00:00:00 tcsh
 7847 pts/31   00:00:00 ps
[dk@ori ~]$ exit
exit
[dk@ori ~]$ export PATH=
[dk@ori ~]$ /bin/tcsh
id: Command not found.
id: Command not found.
id: Command not found.
[: Command not found.
test: Permission denied.
test: Permission denied.
test: Permission denied.
test: Permission denied.
test: Permission denied.
test: Permission denied.
id: Command not found.
grep: Command not found.
sed: Command not found.
sed: Command not found.
[dk@ori ~]$

  The error is in launching the shell with incorrect environment variable
settings.

    cheers,
      DaveK