Re: Suggestion for run (with patch)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:32:35PM +0100, Adye, TJ (Tim) wrote:
>For many years I've continued to use Chuck Wilson's old run-1.1.4
>because it included a version that was linked without Cygwin
>(run-native.exe, built with VC). Although it doesn't have all the
>features of the Cygwin version (eg. it can't translate Cygwin mount
>points), it does allow one to start applications without needing
>cygwin1.dll in the path. I know that's often not much of an issue (at
>least if run.exe is in C:\cygwin\bin), but it is sometimes handy to have
>a stand-alone version.
>
>The latest version of run, run-1.1.10-1 included in the Cygwin setup,
>has some nice improvements (and is easier to find than the old
>run-1.1.4!). I have made some small fixes to allow the new version to
>also build run-native.exe, with gcc -mno-cygwin (it also builds the
>Cygwin run.exe as before). Would you consider adopting this improvement,
>in the attached patch (see the top for build instructions)? You might
>have a better idea for where the non-Cygwin version should go - I just
>put it in /usr/bin/run-native.exe.

I don't see any reason to include a non-cygwin version of a program in
the *cygwin* distribution.  If you don't have cygwin1.dll in the path,
then you aren't running in a cygwin environment.

This is not to say that I don't understand perfectly why someone might
want to not use cygwin or how wonderful it might be not to use
cygwin1.dll.  This just isn't an issue we need to deal with here.

cgf