Re: Eliminating -mno-cygwin from gcc.

On 2/6/07, Frank Fesevur wrote:
If you want a use a popup, please make it aware of the --quiet option!

I run 'setup.exe --quiet' from a simple .bat script to update my
installation (first stopping and afterwards starting again my sshd). And
even that is not always free of popups (when files are still in use).

Therefore I can't do a fully automatic update. And I know setup.exe is
not designed for unattended usages, but with the current command line
options it can act like it and I do use it that way.

And could the 'file in use' message box also respect the --quiet option?

Regards,
Frank

Perhaps there could be a flag to cause setup.exe to succeed quietly in spite of such warnings (update the package anyway), and another to cause setup.exe to "gracefully degrade" quietly in the face of them (continue but skip updating the package and skip other updates with the updated version of the package as a dependency).

One of these flags could be --quiet, or the current behavior of
--quiet could be retained and two new flags such as --quietsucceed and
--quietfail could be added. Then --quiet would continue to behave as
people have learned it behaves. Perhaps it would even be useful to
have different flags to set the answer to the question of whether or
not to replace in-use files and to set the answer to the question of
whether or not to upgrade packages when there is a "significant
change."

On the other hand, I suppose there is some question of whether or not
additional structure should be added to the calling syntax of
setup.exe until a silent mode is added whereby everything one can do
in the interactive mode one can do in the silent mode (e.g. specifying
packages and versions from the command line).

-Eliah