RE: activestate perl on cygwin

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

I did.  <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-01/msg00270.html>.

> Instead I got a bunch of replies about how it is a bad idea to
> use Activestate with cygwin. My scripts are written to make my life on
> Windows easier, so that means using Windows specific code to automate
> common tasks. Ideally I'd prefer to stay in a pure Linux environment,
> but for reasons I do not need to go into, I am stuck with Windows. It
> was my understanding that the intent of this mailing list was to offer a
> place to discuss issues involving cygwin and develop solutions to those
> problems. Seeing as I do not have a whole lot of free time to research a
> better solution, I hoped a quick answer would be provided via this
> medium. While I appreciate the suggestions that have been made on this
> thread, I want to install two copies of the perl interpreter or port my
> existing scripts to cygwin as that appears to be the compromise. Are
> there any other ideas?

Rant aside, there is nothing Cygwin-specific about writing such a wrapper
script.  As I said, any good bash tutorial would have contained enough
information for you to write one.  Since this is not a bash support list,
discussion of techniques for making such scripts work is off-topic.

Besides, it's been discussed to death at least 3 times that I recall --
and it's all in the archives of this very list.  The script in my message
above has definitely been posted before, and even in a similar context.
In fact, that discussion is the 5th match when searching the list archives
for "activestate wrapper", and the 1st (yes, first) match when Googling
for "activestate wrapper site:cygwin.com inurl:ml" (or even for
"activestate wrapper cygwin").  That's why we have the web archives -- to
hopefully avoid rehashing the same issues over and over again.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin